Friday, April 16, 2010

Festive Bread Cloths




Hot off the loom: Festive all cotton breadcloths/tea towels. I use them to wrap a loaf of freshly baked bread as a gift or to cover the bowl the bread rises in. They're also handy for drying crystal glassware. Some people use them under a centerpiece on a holiday table. They are completely machine washable and dryable. They've already been washed once to relax and soften the fibers.


I enjoy making these simple utilitarian household products. I believe that even a humble dishtowel can be special, a work of art. Every one of these towels is unique. I rarely, if ever, make any two items exactly alike. We live in a world of replication, of machine-made copies of copies from mountains identical paper forms to mounds of idential T-shirts. I take pleasure in knowing that I own handwoven fabrics exactly like no others in the entire world.


Stay tuned for my experiments in black.

3 comments:

  1. How fun to find your blog! I am one of those who use a red and white dish towel you made many years ago as a regular part of our Christmas season table....I love it!

    Glad you are still weaving. Happy Spring.... Cindy Varin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penelope these are truly lovely. I use old cloth nappies for such tasks.... they are very clean now, since my youngest is 21, but lack a certain je ne sais quoi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject. Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent.
    online boutique

    ReplyDelete